Help pass SB 185, the Public Divestiture of Thermal Coal Companies Act
This April, the California Senate is considering SB185, a bill to mandate that the two large state pension funds divest from companies which receive at least half their revenues from coal mining. The bill, sponsored by Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, is part of a package of four climate-related bills proposed by Governor Jerry Brown and currently making their way through the legislature.
Fossil Free California believes that passage of this bill will be an important step toward complete fossil fuel divestment by the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) and will provide a big boost to the divestment movement throughout the country. You can find more information about the bill at Fossil Free California.
What can you do?
- Like us on Facebook
- Write to your state senator, asking him or her to co-sponsor SB 185.
- Write to the Senate Public Employment and Retirement Committee asking them to pass the bill out of committee with unanimous support.
- Ask for letters from supportive organizations you are connected with (environmental groups, faith groups, city councils that have already divested).
- CalPERS members: Before the CalPERS Board meeting on April 13th, write or call CalPERS CEO Anne Stausboll, asking Board members to support SB 185.
- Join us in Sacramento on April 13th (2-4pm) for the State Senate Coal Divestment Hearing (details and RSVP here).
NOTE: Earlier on April 13, at 10:30 am, the CalPERS Investment Committee is meeting at CalPERS headquarters, 400 P Street in Sacramento, to consider whether CalPERS will support SB 185. People attending the Senate committee hearing in the afternoon may want to attend this meeting as well.