1) More quality time with your kids.
2) It is empowering!
3) Save time and money. If your commute is short, you may get to school quicker than driving! You can also lower your insurance rates, gas bills, and vehicle maintenance.
4) Good for your health while being easy on the joints.
5) Children arrive at school warmed up, centered, and in a good mood. After school, they have a chance to pedal away all their worries from the day.
6) Buying your teenager a bike is much less expensive than buying them a car!
7) Reduce your carbon footprint.
8) Reduce the traffic and parking problem at SWS, particularly on half-days, festivals, and other events.
9) SWS has direct access to the American River Bike Trail, and it is getting a makeover – check it out!
10)If you decide to move to Portland, OR, Amsterdam, or Shanghai, you will fit right in with the local cyclists!
So now that you’re ready to take that leap with your family, what do you need to know?
1) Here are some tips for safe biking: http://www.sacbike.org/sacbiking/Tips.htm .
If your kids are new to urban biking, take them for a test trip to school first. Mentally map all the safety hazards and review them with your kids before each ride.
2) Fall and winter mornings are chilly! Your child will need a hat or ear warmers under their helmet, gloves, and wind jacket/pants.
3) Lock up your bike at school.
4) Have fun!
--by Kristi Perry for Sacramento Waldorf School newsletter