What we can do
Carbon Footprint Calculators
- Carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions calculation tools -- CoolCalifornia.org
- Low Carbon Diet Personal CO2 Calculator: this online calculator is designed to accompany David Gershon's book, Low Carbon Diet. Unlike the PG&E Carbon Footprint Calculator below, which relies on three inputs--electricity (kWh), natural gas (therms), and gas/use of vehicle--this calculator also has basic inputs for gallons of garbage put out each week, and miles traveled by air each year.
- PG&E Carbon Footprint Calculator: this quick-and-easy calculator determines a carbon footprint using three basic energy inputs: electricity use (kWh per month), natural gas use (therms per month), and miles driven per year (miles driven per year plus the mpg of the vehicle). A link to the "assumptions" upon which the calculator is based is also provided (for instance: 1 gallon of gas = 19.4 lbs. of CO2; 1 therm of natural gas = 11.7 lbs of CO2; 1 kWh of electricity = 0.575 lbs of CO2; etc.) PG&E Energy Analyzer: a thorough energy analyzer is available online, in both English and Spanish, by zip code--no online PG&E account is necessary. However, to get more detailed and automated (i.e. easier) results with the energy analyzer, you will need to login to your online PG&E account. Note: once done, the results of this energy analysis are always available to you via your online account (under "Energy Tips and Rebates").
- Going Green Today--an online service that creates customized plans to reduce one's carbon footprint.
- City Carbon Index--created by Global Green: "What is the carbon footprint of my city?"
- Climate Counts: an organization that scores "the world's largest companies on their climate impact to spur corporate climate responsibility and conscious consumption." At ClimateCounts.org: can sign up for newsletter; a pocket guide with their scores is available for download; free ClimateCounts.org Iphone App.